Water Skiing, Sailing, Motor Boating, & Jet Skis
The Pinedale area has many large lakes within the Bridger-Teton National Forest adequate for water skiing, sailing and motor boating. The Wind River Range lakes (Fremont, Half Moon and New Fork Lakes) all have public boat docks and large parking areas for vehicles with boat trailers.
Each August the Pinedale Boat and Yacht Clubs sponsor the Sailing Regatta on the largest lake within Sublette County, Fremont Lake. This two-day competition draws sailing enthusiasts throughout the region and is a Little America's Cup sanctioned event.
Canoeing, Kayaking, & Float Tubes
The Pinedale Area offers hundreds of lakes for quieter boating opportunities such as canoeing, kayaking, and float tubing. Many of these lakes do not have trails that completely encircle their shorelines and boating is the only way to reach their remote areas. Some areas along the upper Green River offer quick-paced water and rapids for those who enjoy white water fun.
Boat Rentals & Scenic Boat Rides
Boat rentals, including canoes, small fishing boats, powerboats and party barges, are available at lodges on both Fremont and Half Moon Lakes. Small fishing boats can be rented on Boulder Lake. Boats can be rented by the hour or day. Those with private boats can berth at the public marinas on both lakes. The resort on Half Moon Lake offers dinner steak rides on a paddlewheel boat.
Rules, Regulations, & Boating Safety
In the state of Wyoming, all waters are governed by the Wyoming Game & Fish Department.
- No one under the age of 16 is allowed to operate/be in physical control of any boat unless an adult is present.
- Motorized watercraft must be registered with the state annually
- Registration numbers must be clearly visible
- Watercraft reaching 16 feet or longer must have enough floatation devices for all persons on board
- All persons water skiing, on jet skis, or towed by motor boat must wear life jackets.
- Be aware of the causes and risks of hypothermia